Sunday, December 20, 2009

Kid talk

Scout has been talking a lot more lately. She's putting phrases together much more easily, and her vocabulary is growing everyday. Some of her favorite phrases are "Kickle me" (tickle me), "Daddy home!", "No Daddy go", and "G care me" (G scared me, which is never true). She recently came to me whining, "G ra me". I couldn't figure it out until G said casually, "I growled at her. I said 'ra'." Silly girl. I am a little concerned, though, that several of her phrases sound like Yoda. For example, "I'm cold" comes out as "Cold me", and "I fell" is "Fall me". Maybe I should have read to her more....

Garrett's conversations are becoming much more clever, and he makes an effort to be funny, although I don't think that's always his goal.

He saw me drinking a glass of wine and asked if he could have some, knowing what the answer would be. I wanted him to know that it wasn't like coke or something sugary, so I said, "No. Wine isn't good for your growing body." To which he responded, "But it's good for your getting old body?" Thanks, G.

He recently told me an elaborate story about how there are little people living inside his body. He explained that sometimes they start throwing buckets of water out of him, and that's when he pees. Random.

Today, I caught Scout unrolling the toilet paper. When I told her not to do that, Garrett piped up, "Yeah, because if she wastes it all, then the man who makes toilet paper will have to cut down all the trees!" My little conservationist. He's also the one who cries if I throw away a jar of peanut butter instead of washing it out and recycling it, because I'm not "taking care of God's earth". I never claimed to be totally green, just mint green.

Before their bath one night, Scout starting screaming about a "bee", which ended up being a silverfish. I did the logical thing and rinsed it down the drain. Again, my lover of all of God's creatures started crying (real tears) about how it's too dark in the drain for the silverfish, and that they were starting to be friends. Then, he uttered a sentence I never thought I'd hear my child say, "I can't believe you rinsed my friend down the drain!"

Out of the blue in the car last week, "I love corporations."

And, at my parents' house, after asking if the reason he kept requesting that someone accompany him to the bathroom was because he was scared, "No, I just need someone to entertain me. I never like being unentertained." So true.

1 comment:

Beth Hames said...

Funny stuff! Thanks for sharing...