Monday, August 17, 2009

First lost tooth, and it's not G

By now, most of you have heard, and seen, on Ryan's facebook page that my precious baby girl knocked out a tooth. It happened on Saturday, just as I was headed out the door around 12:30. In fact, the car was already running, and I think I must have left it running for a half hour. Anyway, Ryan and I were standing in our front yard chatting with a neighbor, while my dad was helping the kids finish up some lunch. Scout usually sits in her booster seat to eat, but had climbed up onto a kitchen chair and was standing up. That's a trick she repeats throughout the day - climbs onto something, stands up, and then calls for an audience to give her praise for her great accomplishment, though she receives a scolding and some help down. Unfortunately, that day's trick ended badly, with a fall, during which we guess she hit her mouth on the table and then the back of her head on the floor. My dad grabbed her and calmly called us inside. The first thing I saw was the massive amount of blood, and the next was a space where her top, right front tooth had been. Scout stopped crying quickly after Ryan grabbed her, and I got on the phone with the on-call doctor. Garrett didn't quite realize what a big deal this was, since we were all trying to be calm, as to not scare the kids, so he started asking for things and talking to us. My sister immediately swept him off to his room to play and let us deal. Thanks, Aya! We took turns holding Scout, and she soon fell asleep on my dad's shoulder. After hearing that there was nothing more we could do for her that day - the main concern is that the entire tooth came clean out, which it did, big root and all - we put her to bed. She woke up happy, with just some tenderness, and only a little bleeding when she occasionally put her finger in the space. I was most concerned that she wouldn't be able to sleep at night, because she sucks her thumb, but that has not been an issue. She doesn't seem to notice the difference, or just loves that thumb so much she doesn't care.



The reactions have been mixed. I realized that she doesn't show her teeth, unless it's on purpose, so no one has noticed on their own. Of course, all of our friends have been sympathetic and comforting. My friend Raegan even called her pediatric dentist on Saturday to make sure we could get an appointment that week. I was having massive mommy guilt, though it's getting better. I prayed for her a lot that first night, but found I didn't really know what to pray. I mean, what could I ask for short of her permanent tooth growing in overnight? She really is fine, and hasn't shown signs of pain since the first day. So, I started praying for myself. Ryan now thinks it's adorable, and that a missing tooth totally fits her personality and her name. It didn't comfort me much when he said she was ready for our trip to Arkansas this fall. Scout's friend Kylie did not like seeing Scout's "boo-boo" on facebook, and her family prayed for ours after seeing it. Garrett and his friend Cole were both happy for Scout, mentioning at different times that she'd get a visit from the Tooth Fairy, now. I think we'll save the tooth for a few years before we do that. I don't think the Tooth Fairy is supposed to visit you in your crib.



We haven't been to the dentist, yet, though we will this week. In talking to him on the phone, I've learned that there's no need for a spacer tooth to be fitted, though we can do that at some point if we choose to. Until she has molars and is old enough to sit through the procedure, however, we won't attempt it. I don't know how I'll feel as she grows, but I don't think I can look at that space and be reminded of my sweet baby girl falling everyday until she gets her permanent tooth. Time will tell, and in the meantime, let's pray she gets that tooth sooner, rather than later.



1 comment:

Jamie Ridgell said...

Oh Ashley - I'm so sorry! Poor little Scout! It actually looks cute in the picture, but I understand about not wanting the reminder. Don't feel guilty for a second- it could happen to anyone...especially any parent with a climbing, fearless child. I'm just waiting for something like that to happen to Andrew. You know, you could do what Joe Don's parents did and get her a nice silver tooth. Except he had 5! Love you guys!