Monday, August 3, 2009

4th of July

We had a great Fourth. My parents came for a visit, and my dad got to appreciate all the hard work we'd already put into the house. Our neighborhood was having a parade, so we thought we'd decorate the kids' wagon and participate. We had almost no time to prepare, so our decorations were white stars that my mom had cut out of paper plates, little American flags attached to the front corners of the wagon and one for each kid to hold, and some red streamers. I was hoping that this would be enough to blend in to the other bikes and wagons for two reasons: 1) I didn't want my kids to wish they were in someone else's wagon, and 2) I was secretly hoping that we hadn't moved to "one of those neighborhoods", where everyone feels like they have to out-do their neighbors. I crossed my fingers as we got closer to the start of the parade that we wouldn't see any battery packs powering light displays, and I am happy to report that we completely blended in! Everyone looked really cute, and the kids had a lot of fun. We saw funny wigs, poster board greetings, and some cute dogs with bandanas. There were people handing out dog biscuits to the appropriate neighbors, lots of waving and shouting "Happy Fourth!", and free Chick Fil-A kid's meal coupons. The kids were pretty hot by the end, but they enjoyed it.

After chatting with our across-the-street neighbors for a little while, we headed to Rudy's for lunch with friends from our class at church. We sat at their outside picnic tables in the shade, and it was a really fun time. The kids were completely worn out by the end and ready for some good naps. Good family fun!














No comments: