Monday, December 15, 2008
Quick to listen, slow to speak
I was in Scout's room today when Garrett yelled from his bathroom down the hall, "What's a virgin, Mommy?" I immediately went into panic mode. My brain was racing trying to come up with a truthful but appropriate answer for a three-year old. I was also simultaneously cursing those who refer to Mary as the Virgin Mary and have inadvertently introduced my son to this concept. I had a moment of clarity and just responded, "You mean Virgin Mary? She's Jesus's mommy." I held my breath, praying that he'd just go with it. He paused, "I mean, like a version of a song." Phew! Yet another lesson in making sure you know what your kids are asking before offering WAY too much information.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
That is TOO funny!!! Your answer was perfect too!!
Oh my goodness, I can see myself panicking at questions like that. What a great idea to give him a little time to further explain his question!!
I am cracking up and panicking all at the same time! One more thing to look forward to when Francie gets here!!
Post a Comment