Friday, October 17, 2008

Around the House

I've captured some interesting moments around the house lately and just had to put some of them out there for all to see. The first set of photos captures Garrett decorating his sister. I know that seems like more of a sisterly thing to do to a little brother, but this decorating did not involve makeup or hair clips. No, this is ornamentation of the sticker variety. I don't think Scout was aware of how she'd been tagged, but I'm sure she'll look back at these pictures and smile... or shoot me a look for taking these photos before rescuing her. In my defense, if she were really that upset about it, she should scream or put up some kind of protest. Giggling at G and gazing at him with the adoration that only a little sister can give, just doesn't send a message to back off.





The next photo-worthy moment is of Scout after she woke up. There's a cute book called Cowlick that tells about a cow sneaking into bedrooms in the middle of the night and licking kids' heads to turn perfectly neat hair into hair that will not be tamed by any comb. We refer to it often after Scout's afternoon naps. The pictures show why. I had to completely wet her hair to calm it, and it still wasn't right. She's either being visited by a cow between 2 and 4pm each day or she's part orangutan.




Then we move on to more pictures of Scout putting things on her head or the back of her neck. I don't get it, but she gets some kind of satisfaction from draping things across her and crawling around. She's so serious about it, too, and is often surprised when we laugh at her. She sometimes look around clueless, trying to find the joke. Well, she need not look farther than a mirror!




The next moment is a lesson in not neglecting your children or making the stupid assumption that "she'll be fine for a minute". Well, in that minute, you could have a pile of cereal on your carpet and a little piggy grazing from her trough. Yeah, I walked away leaving the cereal box on the floor and walked back in to find Scout sitting in a glorious pile of easily accessible snacks. The question is, did I throw away all that cereal or stick it back in the box, knowing it's the kind that only Garrett and Scout eat? ... I'll never tell!



Finally, that brings us to the sweetest of the moments around our house - Garrett helping Scout walk. We started with some big brother hazing, and we're ending with some serious big brother love. Scout loves to walk while holding your hands. She's also in the stage of pulling up on something and then finding herself "stuck" in that position. Anyway, we don't have time to walk all day with her, and we get tired of rescuing her all the time, so Garrett stepped up. One evening, when she was stuck, Ryan and I shot each other "I'm tired, you please do it this time" looks, and G announced eagerly that he was up for the task. He was a little shaky at first, but he can support her, and she loves it. Attention from her brother is never wasted on her. She eats it up, and it seriously melts our hearts!


No comments: