Fun with Play-Doh Sharon, Bridget, Jamie, me, and Darlene
Daddy and G
Mimi and Scout
The cousins
Building a dam at the beach
Taking a rest
Emerson and G
Emerson and Parker
Scout resting with Big Al
Saturday night, Sharon and I got some time to stay up and chat, while Ryan and his brother drove to Ojai to volunteer at the Coyote Two Moon ultra. Ryan was happy to be able to volunteer, and especially to help some of his friends make it to the finish line.
On Sunday, we got to visit our family at Conejo Valley Church of Christ, where we spent 5 years and where G was dedicated. Ryan and Joe Don both read Scripture during the service, so it was like old times. I gave Garrett the heads up that he wouldn't remember anyone, but that they would all know him. He was concerned that his teachers in class wouldn't know him, but luckily it was our good friends Robert and Katie, who spent a lot of time with G as a baby. After the service, he was getting a little tired of all the, "I remember you when you were this little...", so he finally found refuge in a chair next to Papa, where he remained until we left for lunch.
That night we went to dinner at the house of some great family friends, the Katches. They have four girls, whom we used to babysit for a week at a time before we had our own kids, and it was great to catch up with them. Scout loved following their dog, although she gave an "ooo" and an "uh-oh" anytime Copper would turn around to face her. Garrett loved their game room and hanging out with the girls.
The Katch family with us
Scout loving the puppy
Devon and Scout
G and Jacey
G and Loretta
Monday we let the cousins spend one last day together, without outings or errands. It's so sweet to see them play together and even help and include Scout. G and Emerson were definitely two peas in a pod, though. You could usually find the two of them huddled somewhere together, working on a game or other fun activity. Sharon and I got in a run on the trails I used to run when we lived there. The smell of whatever grows out there was so familiar, it brought a smile to my face. I was happy to find it was a really easy run. I was worried I might have lost it.
Snacks in the closet
Lunch time
We were sad to leave our family, but we left for home on St. Patrick's Day. Since we didn't get to enjoy the day, I at least made sure we were all wearing green. We got one nice comment about it in DFW. We had a connecting flight there, which gave us a 30 minute flight. Garrett chose to sit on the aisle seat and spent the entire time chatting with the woman across the aisle. I even looked over at one point to find him listening to her iPod. We found out she was a tennis player from Miami, and she was super sweet to continue to engage him. At the end of the flight, he invited her to our house. Ryan leaned over at one point and said to me, "He is your father's grandson." It's true. Neither has ever met a stranger.
Scout, Mimi, G and PapaBack home - "Take us back!"

1 comment:
I enjoyed reading all the posts about your California vacation. Looks like you all did lots of fun things while you were there!
Post a Comment