Thursday, April 30, 2009

She's not a vegetarian!

My sweet little Scout has been torturing us since she's been eating table food, by avoiding all meats. Nothing from a cow, pig, fish, bird or other animal in any form - ground, deli sliced, in a patty, casserole, wrap or quesadilla - has ever made it down to her stomach. The closest any of it has ever gotten is to her tongue, after which it is promptly spit out. I'm pretty sure it's not a moral issue for her or a choice of conscience but that she simply doesn't have a taste for any of it - or possibly that she knows how much we want her to eat it. She finally started eating beans, so I was feeling a little better about the protein issue. When I made a pizza a few nights ago, she ate some pepperoni, though I still wasn't excited, since I don't plan to make greasy, composite meats a large part of her diet, as tasty as they may be. Then, by some miracle, last night she picked up a piece of turkey deli meat, that I had put on her dinner plate despite Ryan's scoffing look, and took a bite. We all immediately looked away from her, hoping that if we didn't call attention to it, she'd continue. And she did! She ate three whole slices of turkey meat, in fact. So, though I admire the self-control it must take to avoid eating a delicious, juicy medium rare steak, I'm relieved to not have one of those wackos in my family. Just kidding, Shar!

No comments: